Saturday, July 21, 2012

ARTIST:
EMPIRE OF THE SUN


ALBUM:
WALKING ON A DREAM


KEY TRACKS:
STANDING ON THE SHORE
WALKING ON A DREAM
MY COUNTRY 
SWORDFISH HOT KISS NIGHT


"don't want to talk, all I hear is noise"
I'll be honest.  This is the album I wished MGMT had released instead of 2010's Congratulations.  Empire of the Sun's 2008(!) debut is catchy, quirky, and eerily similar to MGMT'S Oracular Spectacular.  Yet, despite the oddities, there's something strangely likable about these costumed showmen.  Evident from the band's Star War's themed cover, there is a fantasy that is being promoted here and it's one that's a worthwhile exploration.  It's almost a concept album:  a story about ships, tigers, dreams...and swordfish?


It was difficult to listen to this album and not think of it as a soundtrack to a film...so the whole time I was listening to it.  My mind kept taking in the lyrics and picturing the "scene" in my head, which I think is the group's intention.  The album is an unpredictable oscillation of songs varying from safe and catchy (Walking on a Dream) to the downright bizarre (Breakdown, Delta Bay). 


However strange, at least the Aussie duo commit to their artform.  Empire of the Sun's Luke Steele and Nick Littlemore perform their shows in full garb, makeup, and bravado.  The showmanship can be a little much but beneath all the heavy makeup and glitter there still is serious musicianship at work.  Outside the group, Nick Littlemore is a well known producer/composer and has worked on numerous projects including serving as Cirque du Soleil's music director.  


There are elements of great musical talent peppered into the album:  the guitar riff in "Standing on the Shore" being the most apparent.  It's the album's prologue and sets the stage for the events that are to come:  "the future is in my hands," Steele croons,  "I hold it in my palms".  "Country" is another interesting track woven into the album, and the fact that it's instrumental only enhances the idea of a "soundtrack".  It's a charming little track that is well deserved after the jarring alley cat cries of "Delta Bay".


Besides "Country", the second half of the album is a bit of a disjointed mess.  "Swordfish Hotkiss Night" is a drugged out club track with some heavy beats while the album's closer "Breakdown" is a screeching halt to album.  It's a bit much, but at least it sends you off with some edge.  
  
It's recently been announced that Empire of the Sun will release a new album soon.  It's certainly something that I'll give a listen.  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't curious to hear what four years in the making sounds like.  But I'm really much more curious about how the presentation and concept of this group will change.  It's like the story is continuing.  I just hope this time around it's less about bravado, and more about the music.


NEXT WEEK:  M83  |  HURRY UP WE'RE DREAMING



  

No comments:

Post a Comment