Sunday, July 8, 2012

ARTIST:
MY MORNING JACKET

ALBUM:
CIRCUITAL

KEY TRACKS:
THE DAY IS COMING
VICTORY DANCE
CIRCUITAL


"the way is clear, the day has come"
"Circuital".  It's an interesting word that My Morning Jacket has chosen for their sixth release.  In the accompanying documentary to the album, the band states that the title refers to the circular rhythms and arrangements they've incorporated into it.  As the listener, I couldn't quite tell what was so circular about the arrangements, but with the whirlwind of emotions I've been experiencing it was something nice to relate to.  

To be honest, My Morning Jacket was a major grower for me.  At first listen, I nodded my head, enjoyed the melodies, and sang along with Jim James's magnificent voice.  Yet I never quite understood the draw of MMJ...until I saw them live at Bonnaroo.  This is truly, truly a band that must be experienced to fully comprehend the talent of this ensemble.  Jim James came out in giant furry UGG boots and played one of the most hit-packed sets I've ever witnessed:  "Circuital", "Steam Engine", "Wordless Chorus", "Gideon", etc.  My mind was blown.   It was most definitely the best set I went to last year.  

So when I first listened to Circuital, it was a bit underwhelming.  As much as I respect these Kentucky natives, I was left with a feeling that they were holding back a bit in this release.  Much like a circle, it's simple, but almost too simple at times.  Yet, there are tracks on the album that rise up out of the ring with spritely strings (The Day Is Coming), booming horns (Victory Dance), and exciting tracks that build and build (Circuital).  

Of course the usual quirkiness commonly seen in MMJ are present in this current release.   Most notably is Outta My System where Jim James is looking back on everything he was warned against...but did anyway.  It's a lovely, lighthearted track that does add a bit of humor.  It seems that over the years, oddball subject matter has accumulated in MMJ's musical catalogue and become slightly characteristic of the Kentucky rockers.  In fact, Victory Dance was actually written about  Jim James's experience with lasik eye surgery(!).  


But with the quirks, Circuital boasts some significant bouts of musical maturity in this album.  Most notably is The Day is Coming, my personal favorite on the album.  It's subtle, yet full and rich with backing violins and violas. The many years of touring, recording, and playing together have made MMJ a polished, cohesive act.  But, thankfully, that lovable peculiarity hasn't been polished out of the circle. 


LISTEN NOW: 



NEXT WEEK:  THE EMPIRE OF THE SUN |  WALKING ON A DREAM

No comments:

Post a Comment